Pages

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ...

Friday, 06 May 2016


Although there are 24 days to go the 'Three' who are off to the Chalet School got together today for the last in-person planning meeting before we leave and, most importantly, the much anticipated 'trial pack'.  Being busy with other critical work (making cheese-and-onion sandwiches for lunch) I had actually failed to pack and so was at a significant disadvantage when Marianne arrived with the Smallest Bag Ever as her checked bag.

I was at once both awed and envious - and more than a little worried I would never be able to get my own luggage down to the size and weight of Marianne's carry-on-sized checked bag.  It would be very hard to tell as my packing trial was still in the preparation stage:

Packing prep.

I'd just finished weighing Marianne's bags when Beth arrived with an Even Smaller Bag.  I was gob-smacked but Beth was laugh-laugh-laughing because it had been I who had insisted we all needed to travel light.

I went off to do my belated packing feeling rather despondent; who would have thought both Beth and Marianne would be such over-achievers when it came to packing light?  I did feel a little better when the job was done and I could weigh my bag and set it beside the other two.  Here are the bags we will be checking in:

Beth, Jane, Marianne
If I remember rightly (and I'm happy to take corrections from the floor) they weighed: 7.8kg, 8.5kg and 9.5kg.  Beth also had the lightest cabin bag and Marianne the heaviest but all in the 4 - 5kg range.

And here we are with our checked and carry-on bags:'

Beth, Jane, Marianne
After the photo (and lunch) we did have show-and-tell where we sat around on the floor and unpacked our bags, explaining why we had made the choices we had; left things out, chosen certain items over others, and which slightly less-than-essential things we included just because it would make the holiday better to have them along.

Marianne's extras
A very useful get-together - as long as we can now resist adding things while we're all feeling so smug about how light we're travelling!

(Please note: everybody is taking an e-reader.  This is an essential item for the modern travelling reader.)


Unknown

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment